Huddersfield Grammar School was found to fulfil every standard set by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) following a rigorous inspection in February 2018.
The ISI also found that there were no recommendations to make in areas the school might improve.
Its inspection report praised the quality of education provided and noted that pupils exceed expected examination results.
Pupils’ welfare and spiritual, moral, social and cultural development met every requirement, as did the standard of the school’s premises, which have undergone £4.25m worth of investment over the previous five years.
The school’s leadership team, led by the Headmaster, was also praised for having good skills and knowledge and fulfilling all responsibilities, meeting standards consistently and actively promoting pupils’ well-being.
The Headmaster commented: “I am delighted that our school community has received such a positive endorsement in its first ever ISI inspection. In meeting all eight ISI standards, Huddersfield Grammar School is now in the company of some of the finest independent schools in the United Kingdom. This is a measure of the quality of my colleagues, and of the exemplary conduct of our pupils.
“The school continues to be very popular with both current and prospective parents as a result of our unique approach to nurturing each individual within small class sizes, whatever their academic starting point. If children are given that little bit extra nurture, they will be happier and they will thrive, both within and beyond the classroom.
- Teaching and assessment are good and a significant proportion of the teaching is of outstanding quality. The best teaching is characterised by strong subject knowledge and expertise and evident enthusiasm for imparting these to pupils.
- The quality of the educational provision enables pupils to make at least good progress, and GCSE results at the end of Year 11 show that a high number of pupils exceed their predicted academic expectations.
- The quality of the curriculum is good throughout the school, with a number of outstanding features. It provides a broad and balanced range of learning opportunities, enhanced by a wide range of extra-curricular activities and clubs
- Opportunities provided for pupils’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural development are excellent. The school is a harmonious community where pupils feel safe, but are also articulate, independent and communicative.
- Excellent behaviour is founded on the school’s expectations of the pupils, and relationships at all levels, including those between teachers and pupils, are of high quality.
- The school has continued to develop and shows further significant improvements in its provision since the last inspection.
In this binary inspection, Huddersfield Grammar School was judged to successfully meet the following standards:
- Quality of education provided.
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils.
- Welfare, healthy and safety of pupils.
- Suitability of staff, supply staff and proprietors.
- Premises of and accommodation at schools.
- Provision of information.
- Manner in which complaints are handled.
- Quality of leadership in and management of schools.